Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day Trippin'

I know, I know.  You've all been waiting on pins and needles for the last two weeks for a new post.  Refreshing your page over and over and biting your nails.  Admit it, six posts in and you're addicted.  Or maybe you were just waiting to see if I was going to blow it again and write this whole thing off.  Pun intended.  Really though, I had to do some rearranging on my computer.   Anyone who has ever had a laptop with a ton of crap on it, knows how slow it can run.  Well, mine got to the point where it started yelling at me - you know those annoying messages that keep popping up to remind you to do the things that you're supposed to do, but you keep putting them off because you know they're gonna be a supreme pain in the ass?  Yeah, I got those messages for two weeks and I've finally (because I couldn't stand not talking to you anymore!) moved like 300GB of photos to an external hard drive.  Phew!  Now, I'm back and you get to hear all about our trip to the Land of YeeHaw.  


A couple of weekends ago, Nathan and I decided to get out of town for the day.  We thought about heading up to Rocky Mountain National Park, but that place is nutso-bananas during the summer time and neither one of us are too fond of rookie crowds - especially in a place that's supposed to be so peaceful.  So, we decided to head in the opposite direction - North to Wyoming.  I hadn't been since I was a kid and I had never been to Cheyenne, so we put on our cowboy boots, assless chaps and saddled up.


Nathan refused to take his picture with me while I was wearing these sunglasses.  After he found out how awesome they are, he changed his mind.  I think these were actually inadvertently inherited from the costume box of my girlfriend, Wendi.  oops.


We didn't really have an agenda for the day.  We were pretty content to just wander around town.  We started out at Sierra Trading Post, which is basically kinda like the Ikea of outdoor stores, without the Swedish meatballs and cool sideways moving carts.  You could get lost in the place.  I never really found anything that caught my eye, but Nathan found a gem of a Western shirt.  It wasn't exactly a button down - I guess you could call it a "snap down", with the shiny pearl finish on the snaps.  Yeah.  That fancy.  Suddenly, I had a new mission in life - find a real-deal-Holifield cowgirl shirt.  With gaudy rhinestones and ridiculous embroidered roses and whatnot.  Little did I know, tacky cowgirl shirts are not cheap!  I bet we went to every cowboy-boutique-rancher-store-co-op-feed-place within 20 miles of Cheyenne.  Sadly, the Holy Grail shirt was never found but we had fun eating fried pickles with peanut butter and perusing the 3 for $1 record bin we found at a local vinyl shop.




The State Capitol Building


Nathan wouldn't let me stop.  He regards my fond adoration for fire as borderline unhealthy and obsessive. 

This for Mallie!  We saw it in the parking lot of Sierra Trading Post.  They must like the GSP's, too! 

If I were inclined to get a tattoo, this would have to be the place.  

The fried pickle and peanut butter joint...

...with obnoxiously large menus.  

Best flippin' burger in Cheyenne. 




And there ya have it, pardner!  Giddyup!!













No comments:

Post a Comment